Tuesday 7 October 2008

A life on the Ocean Wave

7th Oct, Belfast lough
After a miserable week of showers and gales a small break in the weather was predicted for this morning, Da had mentioned that he was taking his boat Mufti for a spin so I jumped on board to experience a spot of sea fishing.
Soon after setting sail, my level of optimism was high, this may have been due to the fact Da had installed a new fish finder or that he was serving Irish coffee at half ten in the morning.


Da playing with his new toys

After a quick dash across the shipping lane in Belfast Lough we arrived at the first mark just off Bangor Bay. Da was soon into his first mackerel of the day

First fish of the day
The first fish I managed to stick into was a very sorry looking herring, somehow the suicidal fishy had managed to impale himself onto the hook by his eyes. Upon removal of the hook both his eyes remained on the trace and he was left with a gaping hole right through his head. This was one fish that wasn't going to get put back in. After some more herring I finally caught up with Da in catching mackerel.
We were doing so well, I decided to handicap myself by using a fly rod with a fast sinking line, this proved to be near impossible as the boat drift didn't allow the line to sink, so I soon switched back to a heavy spinning outfit coupled with feathers. After a productive couple of hours we decided to head home. Whilst making our way back across the channel my galley slave Da prepared his speciality fried mackerel and a cup of tomato soup.
Lunch - before and after We managed to time our exit well, a mist came down and the winds, which had been absent for most of the day, re-appeared. Below, if you squint you can just about make out Carrickfergus Castle.Carrickfergus CastleSince the last time I was afloat Da's boat handling skills has improved a great deal, we managed to berth her again without even touching another boat, jetty or tender.
Da exiting MuftiHopefully after such a successful trip I can get out again soon, next time, though I'll have to make sure I make the coffee.

3 comments:

MIZLAN DARKARTCASTER said...

hi andy
during the fasting months the weather was hot and sunny but no one wanted to go fishing and when the fasting months over its started raining almost every day!but as fishing is in the blood, no weather can stop me.in labuan, there's no mackerel but other type of fish such as grouper, baramundi and others.my friend once told me that i have 'luck' in fresh water fishing.i tried salt erwat fishing before but its tough and needs lot of patience.you have to know the tides, suitable weather and time, and prepared fresh bait. fresh water fish do not care for this details especially snakeheads. my father in-laws love to make it into soup as it is believe to be good for health.

Fish Whisperer said...

Andy, Sounds like a great trip. Glad you got into some fish in the saltwater. A 40lb mackeral can pull your socks off in about 3 seconds, nothing like it.
Cheers

sports handicapping services said...

I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles an i keep a nice post